Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The opinionated preggo

Does it come as a shock to anyone that I am opinionated? Probably not. I am much like my father and have often said, "I am my father's child." However, pre-pregnancy I seem to have had somewhat of a filter. Mid-pregnancy I am fiesty and feel the need to voice my opinion.

So I've decided I'm going to write a book (or just a blog post, rather) entitled, "Things not to say to a pregnant woman"....and have received a couple suggestions from friends!

1) Don't ever tell a pregnant woman she's huge. She knows she's huge, but huge is beautiful when you're pregnant.
2) Please refrain from voicing YOUR opinion on the name the parents have chosen. God layed that name on their heart for whatever reason and to react with things such as, " (insert name here)???? Where'd you come up with that??"
3) Finding out if you're having a boy or girl is a surprise...whether it's at 20 weeks or when you've just had the baby. Please react with excitement no matter when the parents find out.
4) Don't tell me, "You need to put on weight for that baby." People, I eat. Any girlfriend of mine who has dined at a Mexican restaurant with me lately can tell you that I can put away chips, salsa and cheese dip with the best of 'em. Starving mommy = starving baby = nauseous mommy...so I DO eat!
5) Along with number 4, don't tell a preggo lady, "You need to stop gaining weight" - unless you are the OB, well okay, even if you are the OB, this comment is probably not appreciated. A friend of mine was hugely insulted when someone said this to her...rightfully so!
6) "Are you sure you aren't having twins?" - this is just another way of saying that the pregnant woman looks huge.

That's all I can come up with now, but it feels good to vent. :) Some of you might be thinking,h "good golly, she is SASSY!" - while I do admit that sometimes I am, none of these blog enteries are written with the least amount of anger or fury that they may come across as containing.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't have made this post any better myself! I completely agree with all statements. Why is it that when you are preggo people think they have free reign to tell you their opinions!?! Its like if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!
    Okay, thats my soapbox too :)

    ReplyDelete