Soooo....I'm gonna give you the short{er} and sweet version - cats locked outta the room! We had my parents and sister here in Des Moines this year since I had to work. They got here Wednesday afternoon and left this morning. Thursday my Dad starting trimming the nursery in blue while I attempted a nap {maybe getting an hours worth of sleep at most}, Jake worked and Mom and Kellee went to aunt Cindy's to be with grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. We had our Christmas Eve with everyone before Jake took me to work that night.
The ER was slow - ice and snow-covered roads combined with Christmas Eve kept most people inside {thankfully!} so I got low census around 5am or so. My sweet hubby braved the roads and came to pick me up. It was a long, slow ride home on the bad roads and by the time we were 10 minutes from home, I was sobbing uncontrollably and inconsolably from lack of sleep. I was delirious. My Mom woke up to welcome me home and all I could get in between the sobs was, "I'm sorry, I have to sleep." After napping a couple hours, I got up and we were able to celebrate Christmas gathered around in the living room - cats and all!
Dad finished painting the blue {while I napped again} and then Mom and I started taping the stripes (yes, I had the brilliant idea to do stripes on the lower half of the room...great idea in theory!). We taped and taped and taped...nearly 3.5 hours of taping followed by 2-3 hours of painting the first coat of stripes. I don't think we quite Friday night until 12:30am.
Saturday we got the second coats done and taped pulled off only to realize that the colors and leaked under the tape, leaving us with fuzzy lines. OH.MY.GOSH. What a project!!! We spent 9-10 hours on Saturday alone painting and fixing our fuzzy lines. Our brains were mush and we were completely exhausted by Saturday night. But we finished. The lines aren't perfect, but the room is DARLING! It's so much cuter than I had even imagined! Mom and Dad got us baby bedding for Christmas and we were able to set that up to get an idea of how everything will look. It's just precious!
I cannot thank my parents enough for all their help. I never heard either of them complain about the huge undertaking of the project - they just showed up with their painting clothes, gear, and smiles ready to paint! Jake worked a few of those days and when he wasn't working, he and Kellee were playing Mariokart...I'm glad they had eachother to entertain themselves because neither of them enjoy the painting. It was definitely a family project and again, I am SO thankful for their help! I can't wait to get stuff on the walls and get it all complete.
Here are a couple pictures to show our hard work....again, this is before the room was done so bear with me. Picture an orange horizontal line where they lime green is at the top of the stripes.
Here's Dad fixing the fuzzy stripes:
And here I am - my 26 week belly in all it's glory.
And Max enjoying the new changing pad:
The finished project!
Mom has some great pics on her camera so I'll update when I get those!




No comments:
Post a Comment