Saturday, January 9, 2010

See you in two weeks! Uh, what?

"Okay, we'll see you in two weeks!" I looked at the doctor and said, "What? 2 weeks?" She replied, "Yes, we see you every 2 weeks now until 36 weeks and then every week after that." Oh my. And here starts the countdown. I had been coming to grips with the fact that we were down to 11.5 weeks before baby arrives, but realizing that I'm now down to seeing the OB every two weeks for some reason scared the ba-geezers outta me!

I had my 28-week appointment yesterday where they checked my glucose (I passed with a mere 91, thank you very much), measured the belly, and listened to heart tones. Sweet little one had the hiccups while we listened, which was fun because I hadn't realized what those small rhythmic movements were until yesterday!

So in my panic, I stopped at Babies R Us after my appointment to pick up a few things. I got some sterilizing bags for the bottles/nipples {even though I do plan on breastfeeding}, breast pads, newborn white onesies, receiving blankets {I had none!}, and a gown. I realized standing in the breast pad aisle, that I have no idea about anything involving breastfeeding. As in, not a clue. How many breast pads do I need {evidentally I should be stocking up according to my friend}? What all do I need to breastfeed? What do I need to buy that goes with pumping? Do I get bags to store it in or does it get stored in the bottles? How many bottles and nipples do I need? How much nipple cream do I buy {yeah, that just sounds gross}? Where do find nursing bras? WHAT AM I MISSING????????? I've been so consumed with the "little" things we still need for the baby that I've completely overlooked what I'll need...or won't need. Or may need.

I can see now how overwhelming all this is. Thank the good Lord for friends and my Mother! I can't tell you how often I've texted or called one of my girlfriends to ask a serious, funny, or personal question because I.HAVE.NO.CLUE!! And I'm so glad my Mom plans on coming a few days after the baby is born because I can myself getting completely overwhelmed trying to do it all and do it perfectly - she'll be great to have when Jake goes back to work when I'm a teary, snotty, exhausted mess.

And so a couple of my dear friends from work are throwing Julie and me a shower in two weeks (I am soooooo excited!!!!) and I figured I should throw a few things on a Target registry so people have another option besides Babies R Us. So guess what Jake and I did on a Friday night? Yep, we registered at Target....which let me tell you, as a very little selection of baby things. I was quite disappointed. Now Target online is a different story. We really could have sat in our warm, cozy home and completed the registry online - 'cause we ended up adding a few things to the registry once we got home anyway.

So there you have it. Countdown and panic mode has begun. :)

1 comment:

  1. I work with the best lactation consultant, I wish she didn't live in Alaska so you could talk to her!! But breast milk gets stored in the bags so you can keep using the bottles, and you'll probably want pads in every day to avoid leaking!

    ReplyDelete