Friday, September 17, 2010

It's been a bad week...

What a horrible week this has been. It started with Silas developing a rash around his diaper area and knees. I took him to the doctor (a new pediatrician whom I really like!) that told me he has impetigo, probably acquired from daycare - Aspen's or the church nursery...or really from anywhere. He has red areas, some with blister-looking heads all over his bottom, his knees, and a few areas on his arms. It looks so awful and painful but thankfully he's acted fine. So we started him on Cephalexen for that. She also noticed that he sounded wheezy (which we had noticed and took him to the doctor a month and a half ago and they did nothing). So now the poor babe is getting Albuterol nebulizer treatments in the morning and at night before bed....which he hates. Okay, that's all tolerable but today just put the icing on the cake for me.

He's had a clogged tear duct for a couple months now and we were told to follow up with a specialist if it didn't clear up so I took him to see an opthamologist today. The guy told us we weren't using the correct technique and that these things sometimes take many months before they clear up. Awesome, no invasive procedure needed!

HOWEVER this guy, this opthamologist, man-handled my kid. He grabbed him by his arms and jerked him back and forth as kind of a "playing with the kid". He was rough. I said nothing. At some point after the exam was done and he'd told us the info we needed, he wanted to hold Silas so I handed him over. What he did next.... I cannot even describe in words what happened. He was holding him with Silas sitting up, kind of in a football hold saying how Silas was gonna be a great football player due to his size. He then jerked, jossled, and SHOOK HIM around so hard that Silas' little head bounced all over, his head whipping back and forth and he got a "I'm scared to death" look on his face. The guy stopped and then proceeded to do it again. And again. Jake and I were completely frozen. All I could think of was, "SHAKEN BABY SYNDROME!" My mind was screaming and yet I was frozen. Somewhere in all this commotion I must have seen Jake move around uncomfortably in the seat next to me and reach for Silas' car seat because I reached out and took Silas from the doctor and handed him straight to Jake. The doctor kept talking about whatever (I couldn't focus on what he was saying) as Jake and I gathered our things and stood to leave. We practically walked right out on the doctor without saying anything. Funny isn't it, how we both reacted the same way? Now I know my son is beefy...uh, chunky and has wonderful chubb on him but he is FIVE AND HALF MONTHS OLD. That doctor was too aggressive for even a 5 year-old!

We got to the parking lot and I immediately started crying. What had just happened in that office made me physically sick and I had knots in my stomach. Looking back, Jake and I both think, "Why didn't I ____?" or "Why didn't I say something?" I hate looking back and wishing I would have handled things differently.

Needless to say, I immediately got on the phone and will be speaking with someone Monday about this incident. Of course I'm not claiming child abuse or anything like that, but this doctor was WAY aggressive and his behavior needs to be addressed.

So as I cradled my baby this afternoon, I relived the situation over and over. This is my child. It is my (our) responsibility to protect Silas. I will not - WILL NOT - from now on simply say nothing for fear of being rude or offending someone. Too many times I have stood silent and not spoken up about something that was concerning me and that will not happen again. Silas is 100% dependent on Jake and me and therefor I will do and say everything in my power to make sure he is safe, protected, nurtured and loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment