Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Keep your hands off my baby!

I fell the need to vent about people touching Silas. I understand how adorably cute he is, but I am also very aware that people do not wash their hands right before they touch Silas (believe me, I am watching you!). We can be at the grocery store, at the farmer's market, going on a walk in the neighborhood, ANYwhere and people gravitate towards him, stop and talk to him and then....(cue spooky music "dun, dun, dun") TOUCH him - his feet, his hands, his chubby arms. All of which he puts directly into his mouth. Now I know it's good to get a little bit of germs so children's immune systems can build up, but I'm sure he's picking up enough of those at daycare. People! If you are a baby lover then great! But please, please, PLEASE wash your hands and/or ask if you can touch my baby.

There really seems to be no easy way of asking someone not to touch your baby. I think I was a little more gutsy when he was a newborn and Jake and I would tell people they had to wash their hands before holding the baby. What has changed? Jake brought Silas in to see me at work yesterday and everyone gathered around him. Now my nurse girlfriends know not to grab and paw all over him (thank you ladies!) but someone from another department walked right up to us, grabbed Silas' hands and started playing with them. Hundreds of images raced through my head - she's been touching clipboards, papers and pens that MANY patients have touched....GROSS!!!! And now she's touching Silas' hands! But what do you say? How do you say nicely, "please don't touch him".

Another incident happened last time my family was here visiting. We had gone to Panera for lunch and were sitting at table, Silas in his stroller when one of the workers from Panera walked right up to Silas and got right in his face to talk to him and try to make him laugh. It was all I could to not come un-glued. And then as we were walking out the door, she came up to him again and got thisclose to his face, grabbed his hands. My Mom told me later my eyes were wide open and I know I was tense and probably getting sweaty palms. Quit spraying your saliva germs, lady!

I know it is my job to protect Silas so why is this so hard for me? I feel like if people are offended that I ask them either to not touch him (if I don't know them) or to wash their hands, then they have no right touching him in the first place. I know I'm a little uptight about this subject, but I can't help it.

Okay, enough about germs! Silas got to watch his first Iowa vs. Iowa State game last Saturday. Look at him all relaxed, gnawing on an ice cube. :)


Look at this little snuggle bug, first thing in the morning. Daddy put him down to watch the Sunday morning news while he ate. I just love this picture - makes me want to snuggle right up to him!


We had some neat clouds the other day as storm was coming through:


Jake wanted to go to the Salisbury car show last Sunday so we loaded Silas up and took him down to see at the cars and tour the mansion. It was a pretty good time and Silas did really well.

Look at this kid - he's started sucking on his lips and it just makes us laugh when he does 'cause it looks so funny!


He's figured out how to sit up and suck on the front of the stroller when we don't buckle the shoulder straps.



Jake had Silas for a half day yesterday and they went for a hike in the woods using the backpack carrier Jake bought last year. I remember Jake putting this on and walking around the house when I was still pregnant. He was so excited to carry our son in it someday.... aren't they cute??



Doesn't Silas look so tiny?


We're trying to get Silas to learn how to sit up and this boy has really no interest at all...he'd rather stand. The only way we can get him to come close to sitting is my putting his hands out so he kind of props himself up (please excuse ME trying to get out of the picture...)

No comments:

Post a Comment