Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Happy 10-year dating anniversary!!

Do you remember where you were 10 years ago? Jake and I celebrated our 10-year dating anniversary yesterday - March 1, 2010!!! We usually look back on the day and say "remember when..." but this year we actually got all dressed up and went out for a nice dinner, complimentary of my parents - thanks, Mom and Dad! I had bought this FANTASTIC maternity dress when I was 20 weeks pregnant (think major discount!) thinking that I would be wearing it to Aspen's annual party. Well wouldn't you know, this year Aspen decided not to get as dressed up as in previous years so I was desperate to wear this dress! I was so excited to get dressed up for my man and have a night out with him. Doesn't Baby Soll look so great in green? :) Look at that BUMP!

I've spent a lot of time (usually when I'm awake in the middle of the night for no reason) thinking about what I wanted to say in this post. Of course now nothing comes back to me, but I wanted to really brag up my hubby and tell you how AMAZING he is. When Jake and I started dating 10 years ago we were young, naive about everything, and on two completely different paths in our lives. Somehow God, in all his infinite wisdom, brought us together against all odds. Neither of our parents and not many of our friends were really "in favor" of us dating, but for whatever reason we continued. I don't know how or why Jake's parents and friends eventually accepted me, but I think it was Jake's charm and love of life that won the hearts of my family and eventually my friends.

Both of us have changed tremendously in 10 years and thankfully we have only grown closer. There have been many ups and downs, but both of us agreed that the best of those 10 years have been the 5 1/2 that we've been married. Some of our favorite memories are of the trips we've taken together, moments with friends, habits we've created as a couple, etc. The reason our married years have been our most memorable is because we were finally able to function as a team. We were no longer two individual people but instead united as one. Both left our families to create a life together and play on the same team. Genesis 2:24 says, "For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh." We have been able to serve God together, pray together and seek His will and His desire for our marriage and our life. We've had the privledge of watching our lives unfold, feeling confident that we have eachother and God at the center of our marriage.

I am forever thankful for Jake and the husband and soon-to-be father that he is. He is a man of integrity and strives every day to provide for his family. His work ethic unparallel. His heart is golden and his laughter and joy are so pure and real. I can honestly say (and I know how cliche this sounds) that I am more in love with Jake today than I was 10 years ago when we started dating or 5 1/2 years ago when we were married.

Happy 10 years, Jake! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment